670 people estimated dead due to landslide in Papua New Guinea: United Nations Agency

Replica Photo

Creative Common

Local officials on Friday feared 100 people may have died in the landslide. By Sunday, only five bodies and a leg of another person had been recovered. Rescue operations continued in Papua New Guinea on Sunday as rescue workers evacuated survivors to safer places.

Melbourne. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) estimated on Sunday that 670 people are feared dead in a massive landslide in Papua New Guinea. Local officials had said on Friday that 100 people were feared dead due to the landslide. Serhan Aktoprak, head of the UN migration agency’s mission in the South Pacific island nation, said the revised death toll is based on calculations by Yambali village and Enga provincial officials that more than 150 houses were buried due to the landslide on Friday, while the earlier estimate was 60 houses. Aktoprak told the Associated Press (AP), “They are estimating that more than 670 people are buried under the soil.”

Local authorities on Friday feared up to 100 people had died in the landslide. By Sunday, only five bodies and a leg of another man had been recovered. Rescue operations continued in Papua New Guinea on Sunday with rescue workers moving survivors to safer places. Aktoprak said aid workers had given up hope of finding people alive under ground and debris six to eight metres (20 to 26 feet) deep. Meanwhile, the South Pacific island’s government is considering whether it needs to officially request more international support. People were buried in a landslide on Friday in Enga province, about 600 kilometers northwest of the country’s capital, Port Moresby.

Disclaimer: CricketInFocus has not edited this news. This news has been published from PTI-language feed.



Other News

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top