At least 18 people killed in attack by female suicide bombers in Nigeria

At least 18 people were killed and 30 others injured when female suicide bombers carried out coordinated attacks targeting a wedding ceremony, a funeral event and a hospital in northern Nigeria.

Local authorities gave this information on Sunday. No one has yet claimed responsibility for these attacks in Borno state, which has been badly affected by Boko Haram insurgency.

The extremist group has previously used women and girls in suicide bombings, raising suspicions that some of the attackers were among the thousands of people, including school children, abducted by the militants in recent years.

Barkindo Saidu, director general of the Borno state emergency management agency, told reporters that a suicide bomber detonated his explosives during a wedding ceremony in the northeastern town of Gwoza. Minutes later, another blast occurred near the general hospital, and a third attack occurred during a funeral, Saidu said.

He said the dead included children and pregnant women. Saidu said at least 30 others were injured. In a statement, Nigerian President Bola Tinubu described the attacks as desperate acts of terror. A branch of Boko Haram is affiliated with the Islamic State group and seeks to establish an Islamic state in Nigeria. Authorities have imposed a curfew in the city.

Disclaimer: CricketInFocus has not edited this news. This news has been published from PTI-language feed.



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top