Israeli air strikes in Gaza’s Rafah kill 35: Palestinian doctor

At least 35 people were killed in Israeli air strikes on tents for displaced people in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, Palestinian health workers said, and many more were still feared trapped under rubble.

Gaza’s Health Ministry said that most of the dead were women and children. According to the ministry, dozens of people were injured in this air strike. The attack took place on Sunday, two days after the International Court of Justice ordered Israel to stop its military action in Rafah.

More than half of Gaza’s population had taken refuge in Rafah before Israel’s attack earlier this month. Thousands of people are still living in the area while many have fled. Footage of the biggest air strike shows massive devastation in the area.

The Israeli army confirmed the attack and said it targeted a Hamas hideout and killed two Hamas extremists. The army said it was investigating reports to see if civilians were harmed.

Defence Minister Yoav Galant arrived in Rafah on Sunday and was briefed on the intensifying operation there. A spokesman for the Palestinian Red Crescent Society said the death toll could rise as search and rescue operations were still underway in Tal al-Sultan, a neighbourhood in Rafah.

The society reiterated that Israel itself had designated the area a humanitarian zone. The area was not among the areas the Israeli military ordered evacuated earlier this month.

Disclaimer: CricketInFocus has not edited this news. This news has been published from PTI-language feed.



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top