Russia: At least 13 killed in building collapse incident

The death toll from a building partially collapsed in the Russian border city of Belgorod on Sunday has risen to at least 13 and 20 others were injured, officials said. The officers provided this information.

Officials say that shelling from Ukraine is responsible for this incident. Video circulating on the Internet showed rescue workers searching for survivors among the damaged stairs of the building, but they left the scene as a portion of the roof collapsed.

Russia’s Ministry of Emergency Services said that bodies of 13 people have so far been pulled from the debris. The Russian Investigative Committee, the country’s top law enforcement agency, said in a statement that the 10-storey building collapsed due to shelling from Ukraine.

Russia’s Defense Ministry later said in a post on social media that the building was damaged by fragments of a missile that was shot down. The post said the Air Force shot down several rockets in the Belgorod area, as well as two drones. Along with this, an air raid warning was issued throughout Belgorod.

Belgorod Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov said a fire broke out in the city on Saturday evening, killing one person and injuring 29 others.

Since May 2023, there have been continuous drone attacks on cities in western Russia, for which Russian officials have held Kiev responsible. However, Ukrainian authorities have never claimed responsibility for attacks on Russian territory or the Crimean peninsula.

Disclaimer: CricketInFocus has not edited this news. This news has been published from PTI-language feed.



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top